Friday, June 30

Linux for human beings. Are you kiding me?

Linux logoI admit it. I am curious about Linux. I am a curious person. Hell, you'd need to be curious to move from Windows to Mac. Just a few days ago I received my free copy of Ubuntu and I had to give it a whirl it to satisfy this curiosity.

Ubuntu's tag line is "Linux for human beings"... pah... sure it is. It's meant to be the easiest Linux distro for new users and is available for PPC based machines, and therefore seems to be perfect, at least to get me started. I booted the live CD which allows you to run the OS right off the disc rather than off the disk (albeit at a very slow pace). I had a little poke around... it's very basic... but everything a basic user might need seems to be present.

However I'm stumped for actually getting it installed. I guess it's not really Ubuntu's fault... the main problem seems to be getting it and OS X to coexist.

I managed to use Linux's Parted program (via the terminal) to create a couple of extra partitions required by Ubuntu (without killing the tiger)... but the installer didn't complete because it couldn't find an 'Apple boot loader partition' (or something like that). I shall ask on the forums and see what it yields.

I've been wanting to give Linux a little try for years... but the whole scary partition/format/bootdisk thing kept me away. Oh well... at least OS X is still serving me well... even with 10GB shaved off his hard disk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home