Tuesday, August 22

Argh!

AirPort ExpressCut outs in AirTunes are quite possibly the most irritating thing God ever created in the entire universe. I hate them. I want them to stop.... ahhhh... one just happened right there now!

Anyone with a remedy will earn my eternal gratitude. So far I have tried fiddling with:
  • B and G
  • Multicast rate
  • Interference robustness
  • Streaming Speed in QuickTime (doubtful - that's for "internet media")
  • Streaming Buffer Size in iTunes (doubtful - I believe that's related to the iTMS)
  • Turning off wireless security

All that's left to try now is the purchase of a MacBook, which (with the addition of a second horizontal antennae) has better wireless range/strength. Or I could get a longer fibre and move the AirPort Express closer to the Netgear router, yes, that might be a bit cheaper, but what of the ugly cables running around my bedroom?

I'm wondering about WDS. Assuming I had a WDS setup, would the AirTunes signal be routed directly from my iBook to the AirPort Express and therefore avoid the router altogether? Thus, dropping the signal's travelling distance from about twenty metres to one or two metres. This would require me to replace the Netgear router with an AirPort Extreme though since the Netgear doesn't support WDS.

If only you could change the buffer size in iTunes. Come to think of it, why did Apple choose to use the Apple Lossless format for AirTunes, surely a compressed format would make more sense. An encrypted 320AAC would suffice and would be four times smaller in size.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you ever find a solution for this?

04 March, 2007 22:19  
Blogger Jon Carr said...

My solution was to buy an AirPort Extreme and switch on WDS. This essentially means my music streams directly from my iBook to my AirPort Express rather than have to jump to my old router first.

What’s your setup like?

04 March, 2007 23:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home